FERAPRO™, originally formulated by compounding pharmacist Bob Mehr in 1997 and formerly known as BOB’S IRON FORMULA, is a holistic blend of iron, vitamins, and cofactors to prevent and/or treat iron deficiency anemia. The absorption and tolerability of the iron in this blend is enhanced by vitamin C and glycine, while the active forms of vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) and folate (5-MTHF) support the growth and function of healthy red blood cells.
Unlike other iron supplement products on the market, which generally have a long list of fillers, binders, and coloring agents, FERAPRO™ has only one non-medicinal ingredient which plays a crucial role in the delivery of the active ingredients.
FERAPRO™ upholds a standard of being clean and sustainable and it is available in 3 strengths for individualized dosing.
FERAPRO™, a holistic iron supplement, is a proprietary blend of five ingredients that is designed to optimize oral iron replacement therapy. Every ingredient serves a specific purpose to improve patient outcomes:
1. IRON ( from Ferrous Fumarate): Provides ferrous (Fe2+) iron, which is more bioavailable than ferric (Fe3+) iron found in polysaccharide iron supplements.
2. VITAMIN C (as Ascorbic Acid): The enzyme ascorbate ferrireductase (DcytB) uses Vitamin C to enhance non-heme iron bioavailability by 1.5 to 10-fold.
3. VITAMIN B12 (as Methylcobalamin):Methylcobalamin, the active form of vitamin B12, is required for proper development of red blood cells (i.e. erythropoiesis). Methylcobalamin is used in the metabolic pathway for DNA synthesis, which is essential for the final maturation of the red blood cells.
4. FOLATE (as 5-MTHF): 5-MTHF, the active form of folic acid, is required for proper development of red blood cells (i.e. erythropoiesis).
5. GLYCINE is an amino acid that forms a chelated complex with iron, increasing its tolerability and absorption. FERAPRO™ has only one non-medicinal ingredient, which plays a crucial role in the delivery of the active ingredients.
FERAPRO™ is Vegan and free of Gluten, Soy and Dairy.
FERAPRO™ should be taken with food to lessen gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea/vomiting and abdominal cramping. Certain foods and beverages, when combined with iron, can reduce its absorption. To ensure you get the full benefit from your iron supplement, it is best to avoid calcium supplements, calcium-/magnesium-containing antacids, dairy products, fiber-rich meals, tea/coffee, eggs, and leafy green vegetables for at least 1 hour before and 2 hours after taking your iron supplement.